The Specialist Certificate in Transfusion Science Practice is designed for UK Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered Biomedical Scientists (BMS)* working in transfusion science either in a blood establishment (blood centre) or a hospital transfusion laboratory.


This qualification will provide you with evidence of specialist knowledge** in transfusion science, following HCPC registration at practitioner level, required to demonstrate your specialist and independent practice capabilities. 

It is accredited by The University of Manchester (45 level 7 credits) and endorsed by the International Society of Blood Transfusion.

**The BBTS Specialist Certificate is not a certificate of competence to practice; the assessment of competence remains the responsibility of your employer.

This programme of study will build and consolidate your core knowledge and understanding of transfusion science, while developing your analytical and practical skills required for data interpretation, critical thinking and provision of solutions to differing laboratory situations, commensurate with the level of Specialist Practitioner in Transfusion Science (NHS career framework grade 6 and above).

Minimum eligibility criteria for all applicants

You must:

And preferably have:

*prospective applicants who will not be working in a transfusion environment during the programme will not normally be considered eligible. Individual requests may be taken under consideration.

English Language Proficiency for International Applicants

Where English is an additional language you must provide either of the following test certificate(s):

All test certificates must be dated within 2 years of the date on which we receive your application

Exemption from language proficiency test

If you are a citizen of a relevant European State you do not need to provide proof of your English language proficiency. To be exempt from providing proof of English Language competence you must provide evidence that you are a citizen of a relevant European State. This will usually be a certified copy of your passport or a certified copy of your national identity card.

The relevant European States are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

Back to Student Guide

Course Details